- Heart and Soul by Kadir Nelson
- APA Citation: Nelson, K. (2014). Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African-Americans. New York, NY: HarperCollins Publishers.
- Annotation: This story is about the start of slavery to the end, all the segregation, and now how we have an African-American President. It takes us through journeys of slavery times, civil war times when President Lincoln was freeing the slaves, laws that segregated blacks and whites, and many more recaps of accomplishments in black history.
- Genre: Historical Non-Fiction
- Grade Level: 5+
- Intended Audience: Anyone who loves history. I think this is a good book for 5th graders and up. They might also need some assistance on how to annotate a text and understand because this book has a lot of information.
- Rating: 10/10, this book covered a lot of material on black history and the achievements they’ve gained. Of course if someone were to write a book on the full history, it would be never-ending. But this book summarized it pretty well.
- Text-Dependent Question: “Recap about the book. What was the most shocking part to you?”