Title: City Dog Country Frog
Reference: Willems, M. (2010). City Dog Country Frog, New York: Hyperion Books for Children
Annotation: This story is about a fiction City Dog that goes to the country for the first time and spots Country Frog who was waiting for a friend. They become friends and spent spring, summer, and fall together until they separate in the winter.
Grade Level: K-3
Readers who would like this book: Children who like to read about animals and weather and who like relationships between two different animals.
Rating: 4. This was beautifully written and illustrated, and I could tell the emotions that both the frog and dog were feeling.
Text-dependent question: How does city dog treat other characters?
Strategy: All about…
- I would choose a topic for the book
- The topic will be friendship or weather
- Gather and Organize ideas for writing
- Students will brainstorm about what they will write or draw on each page of their mini book
- Write the book
- students will write a sentence or two on each page to accompany pictures they’ve drawn
- Read the book
- the student will read the book to me, or we can read it together and make revisions and editing if it’s necessary
- Share their books
- Student’s will share out their books to the whole class
This strategy will work great with this book because students can interpret the weather or friendships.